Are you avoiding your short skirts and sleeveless tops because you’re embarrassed of your dark knees and elbows? You don’t have to be. We are here with some most effective and natural ways that can help you lighten and soften your elbows and knees, within a matter of a few days. Plus, they are affordable and quick. Now, you don’t have to use those bleaches, laden with chemicals.
Why do our knees and elbows darken?
Our knees and elbows are generally darker and dryer than the rest of the skin, that’s because, there are no oil glands in those areas. Also, due to the creasing of our skin at the joints, the dirt easily gets deposited leading to the accumulation of dead skin cells that produce a darkened appearance.
But with these inexpensive home remedies, listed below, you can drastically change the appearance of your knees and elbows. Let’s give them a try!
9. Gram Flour
Gram flour, or chickpea flour, has long been used across India and Southeast Asia as both an exfoliant and a homemade beauty treatment to lighten and brighten skin. There are a number of skin brightening recipes that can be easily prepared at home, using gram flour, lime juice, honey etc, to lighten dark elbows and knees.
There are several ways in which you can use gram flour for your skin.
- Take 4 tbsp of gram flour in a small cup and add 2-5 tbsp fresh milk, to make a thick paste. Apply this paste to your knees and elbows. Give them a good massage and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
- Another way to use gram flour is by adding lime juice and honey. Take 4 tbsp of gram flour, add 2 tbsp lime juice and 1 tbsp honey. Apply this paste onto your knees and elbows and let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water and moisturize.
You can use gram flour everyday with different combinations, and you’ll be able to see the results in 2 weeks.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice, as we all know, has the best natural bleaching properties. It’s used in almost every skin care remedy, to lighten dark spots and pigmentation.
You can either incorporate lemon juice in skin packs or scrubs, or, you can directly rub the lemon peel against your elbows and knees.
- When you directly apply lemon juice to your skin, let it sit for 20 minutes and then wash with cool water. Make sure to moisturize, as it can be a little drying on the skin.
- Another way to use lemon, to lighten your skin, is by using lemon juice with honey. Take a tbsp honey and add two tbsp lemon juice. Mix well, and apply this mixture onto the knees and elbows. Lemon will lighten and honey will moisturize your skin, naturally.
Repeat this remedy at least thrice a week to get better results.
7. Sugar And Olive Oil
The accumulation of dry skin around the knees and elbows is the main cause of their dark appearance. Moreover, with the layer of dead skin, the moisture cannot reach the skin, making it even more rough and dry. Olive oil is an excellent moisturizer packed with hydrating squalene, making it superb for hair, skin, and nails.
- Take some olive oil and apply it generously onto your elbows and knees.
- Now, take 1 tbsp sugar on your palm and start scrubbing one of your elbows or knees. Scrub for a good 3-4 minutes, until the sugar completely disappears.
- Do the same for the others and leave it overnight, so that your skin can absorb the moisture from the olive oil.
Repeat daily until you see results, then weekly to maintain lighter skin tone.
6. Aloe Vera Gel
Since, Aloe Vera is known to treat many skin problems, it certainly does help in lightening your knees and elbows as well. Aloe Vera is also very hydrating and moisturizing, making it one of the best natural things for maintaining even skin tone and promoting the repair of skin cells, damaged by sun exposure.
You can directly apply fresh Aloe Vera gel to your knees and elbows every day, not only to lighten dark skin but, also to maintain an even tone.
- Scrap some Aloe Vera gel from the center of a big Aloe Vera leaf. Add a tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp honey. Mix well and apply this paste to your knees and elbows. Keep it on for 20 minutes and wash off with cold water.
Repeat 1-2 times daily for a few weeks.
5. Yogurt and Vinegar
Let us utilize all the acid from these, to bleach our skin. Yogurt, as we all know, has a lot of lactic acid and fats. The lactic acid from the yogurt will help in bleaching where as, the fats will provide great moisturization to your dry, rough skin. Vinegar has a good level of acidic content that helps to eliminate the impurities in the skin by exfoliating it completely but retaining the skin’s natural acidic nature.
- Mix a tablespoon yogurt with a tablespoon honey. Make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste to your elbows and knees. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
Repeat this daily for best and quick results.
4. Milk and Honey
Honey moisturizes the dry skin and also has antiseptic properties. These natural properties of the ingredients will help in getting rid of black elbows and knees. When you apply it topically, the lactic acid in milk works to gradually diminish the skin pigmentation leading to brighter complexion.
- In a small bowl, take 2 tbsp milk, one tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tbsp honey. Mix well.
- Apply this carefully on your knees and elbows; it will be a bit runny.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and wash off with cold water.
3. Vitamin E Oil and Sugar
Vitamin E oil has great skin lightening and moisturizing effects, and has always been used to lighten dark spots and dark circles on the rest of the body as well. When mixed with sugar, it forms an excellent scrub, which exfoliates and moisturizes your elbows and knees.
- Make a mixture by adding a little sugar to a tablespoon of vitamin E oil.
- When the sugar is completely dissolved in oil. Apply this on your knees and elbows, and massage them for 10-15 minutes.
- You can leave it overnight otherwise, keep it on for at least 30 minutes before wash.
2. Oatmeal Scrub for Exfoliation
For any treatment to be effective on your elbows or knees, it is important that you first, remove the layer of dead skin. Oatmeal scrub will help in getting rid of dead skin cells and it also has natural bleaching effects.
- Take 2 teaspoons of fresh cream and 1 tablespoon of powdered oatmeal.
- Use this grainy mixture to scrub your knees and elbows.
- Scrub for about 2-5 minutes, then, let it stay for 2 more minutes.
- Wash off with warm water and moisturize.
Practise this twice a week.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent natural scrub and should be used on the dark knees regularly to get rid of the dead and flaky dark skin. Unlike your face’s skin, the skin on the knees and elbows is stronger and thicker. Hence, you can use baking soda scrub easily without worrying about any abrasions.
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with 2 teaspoons of milk.
- Take this grainy paste and scrub your elbows and knees in circular motions, for about 2-5 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water and don’t forget to moisturize.
It is important that you don’t neglect your dark knees or elbows during your moisturizing routine. While you don’t need to rush off to a high-end salon, you really need to take some steps and spend some time looking after your knees and elbows, to understand how to lighten them.