If you intend to shift from one place to another, you are probably considering hiring a moving company. Before you do so however, take some time to evaluate them thoroughly so that you know they are fit for the job. This is especially necessary if you have never hired a moving company before and you find the whole process a little scary. The right moving company can simplify your life and help make the whole process smooth and easy. By evaluating your company before hiring it, you can make sure that you are not being ripped off and you will receive quality services. Listed below are a few questions you should ask in order to evaluate a moving company-
- Does the company hold a certified license and insurance coverage? Will the insurance coverage vary according to each category for household items? If yes, what will these variations be?
- How long has the company been in service? What are the moving services they provide and are there any services that are provided additionally? Are there separate costs for the additional services?
- Does the company do the moving of everything on their own or do they delegate/sub-contract this work to an outside company? Does the company itself have a physical address one can go to and is there a functioning phone number and email address that they can be contacted on?
- Does the company have a set of full-time employees or does it hire labourers on a day to day basis? Additionally, are these individuals well trained in different packing, loading, and unloading processes? Does the company/ its employees have suitable trucks and equipment to move everything?
- Are the company’s employees capable of carefully dismantling furniture and other big items? Are there extra charges for bigger items of furniture?
- What is the company’s policy for pricing? Is it according to the weight of the shipment or per hour of work done? Is there an extra charge on special occasions like holidays and weekends? If yes, what is the rate of these additional costs? Are there additional services that they provide and if yes, what is the cost for these services?
- What methods of payment do they accept and is cash on delivery accepted? Here it is important for you to make sure that there are no hidden costs.
- Does the company also provide assistance in moving pets and/ or plants from one place to another? Are there additional costs for this service, if provided?
- What is the process to be followed in case there is a complaint against them? Have they previously had complaints and if yes, how were they resolved?
- Does the company provide its price estimates in writing? Do you have to go to their office or will they come to you to deliver it? Are these estimates binding or not?
- Does the company have references and testimonials from previous customers and clients? Is the company open to having a discussion regarding terms and conditions before the hiring process is finalised?
- Is there a way to cancel their services after hiring them? Is there a time limit within which cancellation has to be communicated to them? Is there a charge or penalty for cancellation?
Once you have answers to all of these questions, you will be able to decide whether or not the moving company is appropriate for you. Make sure that you consider factors other than price when you are looking to hire a company.