If you are visiting a dentist for the first the time, then there’s nothing to be scared of because this is a very basic and normal process. Thousands of people visit a dentist every day on a regular basis for the maintenance of their healthy teeth and gums.
A dental visit includes an examination of your teeth, throat, tongue, mouth, saliva, and movement of your lower jaw joints. Many people fear to go to a dentist, but in reality it is very necessary to get your mouth checked regularly for good health. The way dentist visits are essential, similarly maintaining the health of your mouth by yourself is also important. Follow the procedure as specified by your dentist and brush regularly.
Below stated are five things to expect at your first dental visit:
1) X-RAY: Usually X-RAYS are taken at first dental visits and are used to detect cavities, gum disease, bone loss, and infection, while panoramic X-rays are used to look for impacted teeth, bone abnormalities, tumors, and more.
In order to ensure protection, you will be fitted with a lead or lead-free apron to decrease radiation exposure. Even some dental offices use more high-level digital X-rays, which diminish the radiation up to 90 percent.
2) Dental exam: When you are seeing a new dentist, and it is your first dental appointment, then you have to go through a comprehensive dental exam. During the exam, your dentist will examine your teeth and mouth for any sort of problems which includes signs of tooth decay, cavity, gingivitis and gum diseases.
The dentist will also ask you about the issues you are suffering like toothaches, sensitivity, or cosmetic concerns. Following the dental exam will enable your dentist to put together an individual treatment plan created to improve your dental health.
3) Dental cleaning: After your dental exam, you may also have your dental cleaning. It is essential in order to have strong teeth, gums, mouth, and good oral health. It is almost scheduled after every six months, and during this cleaning process, a licensed dental doctor will remove accumulated plaque from outside of your teeth using specialized instruments. Then your teeth will also go through a polishing process with a specific polishing paste. This way your mouth will become healthy and germ free.
4) Dental procedures: Based on your specified treatment plan and requirement, you may also go through common dental procedures such as tooth fillings or teeth whitening.
These procedures will depend upon the dental examination initially taken by your denstist, and after the precise observation of your mouth, he will accordingly suggest you to undertake any of the specified dental procedures.
5) Get details and schedule your next checkup: Make sure to get complete and proper details of each and every part of your mouth and problem concerning areas. Also, do follow the treatment and procedure as told by your dentist. Since it is your mouth and health, therefore make sure to take good care of it.
At the end schedule an appointment for the next round of checkup with your doctor.