Moulds are very prevalent in buildings and homes. Mould will breed in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding. Mould breeds well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mould can also cultivate in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.

Mould is a non-scientific term for many categories of unwanted fungi found both indoors and outdoors. Active mould growth needs moisture. Actively-growing mould damages the material it exists on, thereby weakening structural integrity. In addition, mould is connected with some untoward health effects in humans, including allergies and infections.

 

How do moulds affect people?

Contact with damp and mouldy environments may cause numerous health effects, or none at all. Some people are vulnerable to moulds. For these people, contact with moulds can lead to indications such as stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes, or skin. Some people, such as those with allergies to moulds or with asthma, may have more extreme reactions. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large quantities of moulds in occupational settings. Serious reactions may include fever and shortness of breath.

  1. Allergy:

The immune system acts counter to substances which are generally harmless for the body. Moulds are typically allergens. When a person takes breath in the existence of these allergens, the body releases some chemicals and histamine as an immune response. These substances result in swelling and itching in the body. In some cases, mucus production and in most grave cases, hives and rashes appear along with other indications. Mould symptoms consist of runny noses, itchy watery eyes, sneezing and coughing. All these infections result in severe asthma and sinusitis for most people.

  1. Irritation:

When the mould or fungus obtains nutrition from organic substances during the degradation process, it generates volatile organic compounds. These volatile organic compounds are the source of indoor contamination. If the person is exposed to these unstable organic compounds, the mucous membrane and central nervous system can get damaged. It may lead to the irritation of the skin, headaches, and reduced attention span. The person can also face trouble in concentrating on things and feels dizziness all the time.

  1. Neurotoxin Effects:

Moulds and mildews have the capacity to damage nerve tissues and it can result in detrimental neurotoxin effects. Due to such harmful effects, person may undergo visual sensitivity and poor neurological function.

  1. Cancer:

Moulds can also be the source of instigating cancers in humans. When they enter in human’s body through breath, they gradually suppress the immune system and cause damage to lungs, heart, intestines and kidneys and skin. These areas get vulnerable to the cancer.

Prevention from Mould:

As mould is found in all places whether it’s a home or wood, their comprehensive elimination is almost impossible but still it can be prevented from growing in and around the house. Eventually mould will not find the appropriate environment there to grow. Consistent use of air purifiers makes the air clean and destroys the spores from it.

 

With attic mould, it is vastly discouraged to opt for DIY approach, simply because the health is at stake and the risks aren’t worth it. More than that, a professional mould removal company applies methodology that ensures complete removal of mould, without any relapse.