Mold infestation in your home can cause a myriad of health problems as well as affect the structural integrity of your house. Mold spores are present everywhere in the air; however, they start actively growing when there is excess moisture, especially in dark and dingy places. The biggest and only way to prevent mold growth is by controlling the level of moisture in your home through effective ventilation, good air flow and regular cleaning on attics and basements, since these are the places most likely to be affected by mold.
A mold infestation can lead to serious health concerns if left unattended, especially if your family members suffer from respiratory problem and allergies, or have a weak immune system. Children and elderly members are also more susceptible to the various health problems posed by mold growth. Granted, the existence of mold in your home may not always make you sick but it is better to not take the chance at all. Here are the potential health problems that can come up if mold growth is left unchecked:
- Respiratory distress.
Increased exposure to mold can lead to respiratory infections such as bronchitis and COPD. People who suffer from respiratory problems can experience increased discomfort, shortness of breath, wheezing and cough. Mold can produce mycotoxins, which can be harmful to people with increased sensitivity. If you notice that you are suffering from recurrent bouts of fever and cough and cold, without any apparent reason, it might be because your house has a mold problem.
Some types of mold can trigger a respiratory disease called aspergillosis, which may have varying effects in people but is mostly very serious, especially for people suffering from asthma.
People who are allergic to mold will always experience severe symptoms of distress while in an environment where mold grows. Airborne particles can affect the upper respiratory tract. Mold growth can also trigger dust allergies in people. Allergies can range from mild to severe, depending upon the severity of the condition.
- Pulmonary haemorrhage.
While there needs to be more conclusive research to prove that mold growth can lead to pulmonary haemorrhage, it is believed that overexposure to moldy conditions can result in this ailment, especially in young children and old people and people with weak immune systems.
- Hypersensitivity and inflammation.
Certain types of mold can trigger an inflammatory response in people. Mold can also increase the chances of developing microbial and fungal infections. Black mold is commonly seen growing in many homes, and while this is not harmful in itself, it may release toxins in the air which can lead to health complications.
The most efficient way to stop the growth of mold is by not allowing moisture retention. The health issues surrounding mold growth can lead to more complicated disorders if the root cause is not fixed timely. Mold can be professionally removed as long as the infestation is still in its early stages, otherwise it may require for you to change the fixtures in your house that were affected by the infestation.