Obviously, a skin care routine is incomplete without a face mask that just calms your skin and minimizes the appearance of pores. The use of face masks on a regular basis can help in cleaning, hydrating and brightening your skin, and just improve your overall skin care regimen. The skin masks available in the market present us with a wide range of choices but they can sometimes be heavy on the pocket, also the artificial ingredients might not be the best choice for every skin type. So here’s a list of homemade face masks which will work for every skin type (oily, dry and combination), to some of the most popular tan removal, pore minimizing and DIY Peel off masks.
10. Potato Mask- For oily skin, reduces dark circles
People have been using potato for skin care since a long time now, it can be used to reduce blemishes, works wonders on dark circles, lightens skin tone and also helps in tan removal.
- One medium/large potato
- Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
- Rose water (optional)
Really simple and quick.
- Grind the potato to make a really fine paste.
- Add the lemon juice and rose water.
Apply a thick layer on cleansed face and let it sit for about 20 minutes, wash off with cold water. You may use this mask, 2-3 times a week.
9. Banana Face Mask- For oily to combination skin
If you have a combination skin, means you should be twice as careful before picking up any skin care product. Banana contains magnesium, potassium and folic acid that provides excellent hydration to your skin without making it oily.
- One BIG banana
- Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
- Honey (1 tbsp)
- Any essential oil (optional)
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add a table spoon honey, lemon juice and a few drops of essential oil.
Easy as a pie. Keep it on for 20 minutes and wash off with cool water. Pat dry.
8. Yogurt and Cucumber Mask- For oily to combination skin
Cucumber has astringent properties, beneficial for treatment of acne and helps revitalizing the skin. Whereas yogurt/curd prevents dryness.
- 1/2 cucumber cut in dices.
- 2 tbsp of plain yogurt or curd .
- Take the cucumber dices and blend using food processor or mixer to form a paste with a texture similar to that of a purée.
- Add yogurt/curd and mix well.
Apply this all over your face and neck. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, rinse off with normal water.
7. Milk Facial Mask- For dry skin
Milk is a well known moisturizer, it hydrates your skin and also works to even out discolored areas. Honey is known for its antiseptic and anti-inflammation properties. Together, both of them serve as a great combination to pamper and rejuvenate your skin.
- 2 tbsp powdered milk (or fresh milk can be used). I prefer to use fresh milk but sometimes it might become runny and hence messy.
- 1 and a 1/2 tbsp honey.
- Rosewater (if you’re using powdered milk).
- Take two tbsp powdered milk or 1/4th cup fresh milk.
- Mix honey and add rose water (if required) to create a paste.
Apply a thick layer all over your face and neck, wash off with luke warm water after 15 minutes.
6. Egg White Face Mask- Tightening and toning
Egg whites contain bulk of egg proteins and lutein, which is used in oral supplements to help increase protection from UV radiation-induced skin damage. Egg whites also help tighten pores, making your skin to look shinier and smoother without the oiliness.
- 1 medium/large egg.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Separate the egg whites from egg yolk.
Tip: You can use the egg yolk for a hair mask, since it has amino acid and proteins that can provide your hair the necessary nutrients.
- Add the lemon juice and mix until it becomes frothy. The lemon juice will suppress the smell of the egg.
Apply it on cleansed face, focus on the T-zone (those pores and black heads). Keep it on until it dries and then wash off with warm water. Pat dry and moisturize your skin afterwards since this mask can be a little drying on the face.
5. DIY Orange Peel Off Mask- For all skin types
Peel offs are somehow very cool and trendy, anything, whether it be a lip stain or a nose strip, peel offs are fun. Why not a DIY peel off face mask!
- 1 Medium/large egg (only egg white)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp orange juice. Eat the rest of the orange.
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric, optional.
- Mix cornstarch and turmeric together.
- Add the egg whites of one whole egg.
- You can add turmeric if you like.
Cleanse your face, pat dry. Apply a layer of the paste onto your face and let it dry. Roll out the peel gently and wash with cool water. Use this mask once a month.
4. Coffee Face Mask- For glowing skin, all skin types
We all know coffee is a great anti-oxidant and caffeine is a known diuretic which drains excess fluids from skin, constricting blood vessels making it look less swollen and toned. Curd is rich in Vitamin-C and Zinc, naturally good for your skin.
- 2 tbsp coffee powder.
- 2 tbsp curd .
- 1 tbsp honey.
- It’s easy as a pie, mix all the ingredients together to make a smooth paste. Make sure the coffee powder has a fine texture.
Apply it on cleansed skin. Let it sit for 15 minutes, and relax . Wash it off, first with warm water and then with cool water. Pat dry.
3. Neem and Mint Cooling Face Mask- For acne treatment
Mint itself is rich in menthol and anti-bacterial properties and neem compliments it with its anti-fungal properties. This face mask is very beneficial for problematic skin, both oily and sensitive.
- Mint leaves
- Neem leaves
- 2 tbsp curd
- Crush mint and neem leaves to form a paste like mixture.
- Add curd and mix well.
Apply this paste, keep it on for 10 minutes and wash with cool water. Use this twice a day to see significant results in a few weeks.
2. Tomato Mask- For tan removal
Trust me, when I say tomato helps remove tanning. It does! You can simply squeeze the juice of tomato and apply to the affected area and see results from the very first try. Lemon, as we know now has astringent and natural skin bleaching properties.
- 1 Red juicy tomato
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Simply squish the tomato juice out. You can use the peel of the tomato to lighten your elbows later.
- Add lemon juice and stir well.
Apply it twice a day, for 15 minutes each time. It has to be washed off with cool water later.
1. Papaya Face Mask- For fair and glowing skin
With it’s buttery consistency, papaya feels great on the skin but not only that, it has some great benefits too. It rejuvenates, softens and brightens your skin. Papaya also has alpha hydroxy acids which help in removing dead cells.
- 1-2 slices of papaya
- A table spoon honey
- Remove the peel off of the papaya slices.
- Smash the papaya in a bowl.
- Mix honey and make a paste.
Smells yummy doesn’t it! Don’t worry, you can eat it too. Keep this on for 10 minutes and wash off with normal water. Do not use soap for the rest of the day.
Remember that your skin needs time to renew and these masks do work if you’re persistent enough. Give it some time, apply these masks as frequently as your skin demands.
Note- Do not use peel off masks more than twice a month, and if you go out after using a peel off mask, do apply sunscreen and try to keep your face protected from sun.