Everyday our skin is exposed to dirt, grime, pollution, harsh sun rays and what not. With such a harsh and polluted environment, it becomes imperative to take extra care of your body. No matter how effective your body wash is, it is merely helpful in cleaning the upper layer of skin, which is just not enough. Simply using a loofah to remove the film of dirt from your skin isn’t always enough because the dirt and grime often are skin deep and can cause body acne and other skin problems. The best way to ensure a thoroughly clean skin is the regular use of a body scrub. The over-the-counter body scrubs may not be the best choice to go for, considering their artificial ingredients and the price tag. So ditch them for some natural and effective DIY homemade scrubs. Here are the top ten recommended DIY scrubs:
10. Sugar & coconut oil scrub: Brown sugar has exfoliating properties to remove dead cells and let your skin breathe. Coconut oil provides the moisture and nourishment needed to re-hydrate your skin. Just take 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup of soft solidified coconut oil and some add-ons like essential oils or vanilla extract to help you smell like heaven. Just whip it all up together to have a cookie dough consistency. Store it in an air-tight jar and scrub away!
9. Rose & almond oil scrub: To add a touch of natural rose- like glow and to constantly smell like a bed of roses, this scrub plays the perfect part. Almond oil is rich in vitamin E and is like a boon for the skin. It moisturizes the skin and provides sun protection as well. It also has a calming effect on people with skin allergies and it has anti- inflammation properties. Take a cup of brown sugar for exfoliation, a cup of coconut oil, a tablespoon of sweet almond oil and petals from a pink or red rose. Mash the petals together with the ingredients to make a smooth paste, then add the sugar. Store in a jar for subsequent uses.
8.Coffee scrub: Coffee is rich in antioxidants which are helpful in brightening the skin and making it firm. It also helps to improve circulation to lead to an energized skin. Just take 1 cup of ground organic coffee, 1 cup of organic sugar or salt, 1.5 cup of organic (melted) coconut oil and some optional items like a tablespoon of cinnamon or vanilla extract. Mix everything up and store in an air-tight container. Your skin will thank you for the ten minutes you spend doing this.
7. Salt & lemon scrub: The benefits of this scrub are manifold. Coarse salt crystals are helpful in treating inflammation and removing dead cells. They also relax the muscles. Lemon acts as a bleaching agent to remove skin tanning, dark spots and blemishes. Just take half a cup of coarse salt crystals, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice. You can also add an optional herb like lavender to stimulate rest and relaxation. Mix everything up and store for weekly or bi-weekly use.
6. Banana & sugar scrub: Banana is rich in nutrients like potassium, vitamin A, zinc, vitamin C and E, lectin and amino acids which hydrate the skin, heal dry and damaged skin, fade dark spots, fight acne causing germs and protect the skin from UV damage. Just take 1 ripe banana, 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar and a quarter teaspoonful of vanilla extract or any essential oil. Mash the banana into a chunky paste and mix all other ingredients together. Massage it on your body and rinse off with lukewarm water for a clean and hydrated skin. After a few uses you will notice the stretchy feeling that comes with a dry skin waning away.
5. Raspberry & lemon scrub: Raspberry contains anthocyanins which are responsible for lending a beautiful complexion when applied to the skin and help in fighting against bacteria and fungi. Raspberries also help in tightening skin and have astringent properties to tone the skin naturally. This scrub can be used on both body as well as lips. It has a fruity smell and exfoliating properties. Take a cup of softened coconut oil, a cup of table sugar, some raspberry extract and lemon juice. Combine everything together, stir and store in an air-tight container. Use this on lips as well to fight chapped lips.
4. Apricot scrub: Apricot oil helps in naturally nourishing the skin since its fatty acids help in restoring and maintaining skin’s moisture. Take 4 ounces of apricot oil and a cup of granulated sugar. You can optionally add any soap colorant as well to give it any desired colour. In a bowl, combine the colorant, apricot oil and stir in the sugar. Mix it well to combine all the ingredients. Store it in a jar for subsequent uses.
3. Grapefruit, avocado & sugar scrub: Grapefruit has excellent free- radical properties to fight blemishes, wrinkles etc. It also helps to safely and gently cleanse the skin by removing excess oil and it also equalizes your skin tone. In addition, avocado oil contains antioxidants to heal sun- damaged skin and it doesn’t clog pores. Take the juice of half a grapefruit, and mix it with 1 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons of avocado oil and you are ready with your scrub!
2. Lavender & grapeseed oil scrub: Use some sea salt in this scrub to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells. Lavender helps to soothe the senses. Lavender and sea salt together help in fighting eczema. Grapeseed oil helps in treating acne, tightening skin and moisturizing. Take a cup of sea salt, a cup of grapeseed oil, 2-3 sprigs of dried lavender and few drops of lavender essential oil. Gently mix all the ingredients together to make this luxurious and soothing scrub to relax your senses.
1.Pumpkin & honey scrub: This power- packed scrub is flush with restorative powers. Pumpkin contains a lot of vitamins and is beneficial in reversing skin damage. Pumpkin also contains antioxidants, vitamin A and vitamin C which helps to soothe the skin and boost collagen production to fight the signs of aging. Honey helps in providing a natural glow and is helpful in unclogging pores efficiently. It also moisturizes the skin and is helpful in treating acne. Add baking soda to this combo and you can cure underlying fungal infections, blemishes and blackheads as well. Take 1 can of pumpkin puree, 1 cup of baking soda and ¼ cup honey. Mix everything up and store it in a fridge. The scrub stays good for about a week.
Facial scrubbing already is a part of the skin-care routine of most people. However, body scrubbing is not. Body scrubbing is important not only because it does away with dead skin to facilitate renewal of skin cells, but it also facilitates relaxation of the senses. The soothing aroma instantly refreshes the mind and uplifts the mood. So take out 5 minutes extra twice every week to treat your body to this luxurious experience.