Having been brought up in Indian households, we’ve all come across people telling us benefits of sandalwood that we’ve all managed to ignore conveniently. Now, however, in the times of adulterated products and chemical irritants, let’s revisit these age-old, homemade concoctions and bring you natural, extremely easy tips to work with sandalwood. Sandalwood which is such a sought-after beauty product due to its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, astringent, disinfectant, and tonic qualities, is easily available in its powder form. Listed hereinafter are its 10 benefits.
- Heals and Prevents Suntans:
Winter is not coming for another 5 months despite what Jon Snow says, and your skin needs to be well protected from the harsh rays of the sun. Sandalwood has cooling qualities which had been realized centuries earlier and is made use of even now in the southern states of India.
- Ingredients: 1tbsp of sandalwood powder, 1tbsp of coconut oil, ½tbsp of almond oil.
- To Do: Make a thick paste with the sandalwood powder, coconut oil, almond oil and apply it evenly all over your face. Let it be for 15 and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Fixes Blemishes:
Acne and pimples can be difficult to deal with and blackheads just refuse to leave! However, this simple concoction with sandalwood heals such blemishes and clears skin pores.
- Ingredients: 1tbsp of sandalwood powder, a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of saffron and 1tbsp of milk.
- To Do: Make a paste with the sandalwood powder, turmeric, saffron and milk. Apply this on the acne or blackheads every day till it goes away for best effects.
- Heals Insect Bites:
Sandalwood has anti-inflammatory and disinfecting qualities which make it a great solution to the insect bites as well as a repellent and it smells ten times better than Odomos.
- Ingredients: 1tbsp of sandalwood powder, a pinch of turmeric, 1tsp of lavender essential oil.
- To Do: Mix the sandalwood powder and turmeric with lavender essential oil and apply on the insect bite or your body depending whether you’re using it for healing the bite or preventing it.
- Daily Nourishment:
Your skin needs its daily care and nutrients for which you have been spending big sucks on expensive products. Now you can save that money and go natural with this homemade, natural concoction.
- Ingredients: 1tbsp your regular body oil, 1tbsp of red sandalwood powder.
- To Do: Make a paste with the oil and sandalwood powder, apply it on your face and leave it for 10 minutes. Wash it with lukewarm water. Do this every day for the best effects.
- Heals Sunburn:
You’re bound to be running out and about despite the heat, and boy, it seems to be the hottest summer in centuries! There will be times when you might end up forgetting to apply sunscreen lotions or your homemade sandalwood sunblock paste, and the result may not be very pretty, for example, a sunburn. There’s a solution for that too.
- Ingredients: 1tbsp of cucumber juice, 1tbsp of lemon juice, 1tbsp of curd, 1tsp of honey, 1tbsp of sandalwood powder, and ½tbsp of tomato juice.
- To Do: Make a paste using all of these said ingredients. It’s infused with every natural ingredient to cool and soothe the sunburnt skin. Leave it in for about 20 minutes and rinse with cold water. Dab the water off or let it dry naturally.
- Prevents Skin From Ageing:
Surely this has caught your attention enough for you to actually run to your kitchen and grab the ingredients to make this particular mixture. No one is promising a Melissandre-type anti-ageing formula and no one will in a long time either, but you’re much better off with an all-natural, super healthy concoction than you would have been with all the fancy, expensive creams that the celebrities keep endorsing.
- Ingredients: 2 egg yolks, 1tsp honey, 1tbsp curd, 1tbsp of sandalwood powder, 1tsp of lavender essential oil or chamomile tea.
- To Do: Beat the egg yolks properly. Take the well-beaten egg yolks, add honey, curd, sandalwood powder, and lavender essential oil or chamomile tea. Apply it on your face as a mask and wash it off in 15 minutes. Do this every day and prevent wrinkles and ageing.
- Remedy For Rashes and Allergies:
In our current environment, one full of polluted air, adulterated products and running about in the sun, we are prone to end up with unclear skin. Sandalwood has been used as an Ayurvedic ingredient to treat psoriasis, eczema, rashes, allergies and burns.
- Ingredients: 2tbsp of sandalwood powder, camphor, water.
- To Do: Mix sandalwood powder with a pinch of camphor and add water to it to make a thick paste, apply it over the said area, and let it be for an hour, after which, wash it off with cold water.
- Hair Nourishment:
If you are tired of frizzy and dry hair and even tons of hair product are not helping you reign that uncooperative hair in, try this homemade recipe.
- Ingredients: 2tbsp of sandalwood powder, 3tbsp of lime juice.
- To Do: Mix the sandalwood powder with lime juice and apply it over your hair and let the hair mask rest for an hour, while you can go about doing other chores. Wash this off with cold water and you would find that your hair is considerably softer and tamer.
The basic skin-care routine is to wash, exfoliate, tone and then moisturize and often steps are skipped thinking them to be unimportant. Proper exfoliation is an indispensable step, because it removes the barrier of dead skin cells clogging your skin and unravels the fresh cells underneath them. Only when this is done properly can the moisturizing products penetrate deeply into the skin and make themselves effective. Basically, this is that step in your math paper that could rob you off the marks for the entire sum, if skipped.
- Ingredients: Mashed papaya, 1tbsp of red sandalwood powder.
- To Do: Mash some ripe papaya and take 2tbsp of that, and mix it with red sandalwood powder to create a scrub. Exfoliate and rinse with warm water.
- Legendary Face Pack:
This is the, legen-wait for it-dary, face pack that our mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers before them have taken pride in. It’s great for dry skin and it’s even better for oily skin. This is your one-way, golden ticket to great skin and you have nothing to lose in this gamble. The ingredients are basic and you can find all of them in your kitchen.
- Ingredients: 1tbsp of sandalwood powder, 1tbsp of multani mitti (fuller earth), a pinch of turmeric, 1tbsp of besan (gram flour), 1tbsp of rosewater.
- To Do: Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and make a thick paste. Apply the paste evenly all over your face and neck and let it dry for 20-30 minutes. Then wash it away with cold water and dry off the excess water. Dab rosewater over your now dry face with a cotton ball lightly.
So, save your skin and money by adopting a few of the aforementioned tips. The highlight of this being that not only will you look good because of a healthier, more glowing skin, but also smell brilliant as sandalwood smells somber enough to not send anyone standing next to you in a coughing fit and strong enough to not be lost. Also, please make sure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients and if you are, make sure to not include them in your homemade concoctions.